I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Raziel Orlando
Raziel Orlando Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

bizmord wrote:

My Nikon D700 is pretty much dead. After 260,000 actuations, the mirror is giving up, and I am struggling with the decision of what camera to buy next.

Have things improved so much that I am missing out without realizing it?

I pair my D700 with 70-200 2.8 VR2 lens, and I like the output. Yes, extra pixels may be nice when I want to crop heavily, but these days, where 90% of the time we look at these photos on our phones and iPads, 12mpx is OK.

The autofocus is fine and I usually either shoot with continues focus on closest subject or use the 3D tracking. Most shots come out fine. My kids are now participating in dance competitions and other sports where D700 and 70-200 2.8 lens is a good combo I feel.

The back button focus button ..... love it.

So ... I can buy a used D700 for around $500-600. ... or venture into something better?

I did look into D750, but there is no back button focus. The new D780 has it, but no pop up flash (which I sometimes use if I don't want to attach the big SB-700 flash). Maybe D810, but it's more than twice the price compared to D700.

So ... what am I missing out on?

P.S. Eye tracking is interesting, but in sports photography it may not be always useful. Below photos are what I took a few days ago. Yes, I understand, they could have been sharper.

I always saw the Nikon D850 as the spiritual succesor of the D700. But if you love that sensor look, get an used D3s and enjoy similar look with even better High ISO.

Raziel Orlando's gear list:Raziel Orlando's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Sony a6400 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow