Z 6II: how many are waiting for Z 6III?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 7,957
Re: Z 6II: how many are waiting for Z 6III?

karlreed wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

Smitty1 wrote:

Why stop there when you can wait for Z 6 IV and Z 6 V?

Because...:

So for the reasons I addressed in that post, I'd probably wait for a III but not an IV or V.

(For me, another factor will also be at least until the whole "life after the pandemic" thing is more clear. But even if not, I had planned on the III for those reasons when I bought my I).

I am generally a late adopter of technology. However, I lept on the D200 as the first serious Nikon affordable DLSR and was not disappointed. The alternative was the 5DMKI but the high iso noise was not acceptable to me.

But, I generally find that any new technology has wrinkles. I am glad I skipped the Z6.

Based upon my experiences 53 years ago with OS releases, I have generally delayed my OS upgrades. True, the modern OS releases seem very good indeed by those standards. But, it takes a while to find-out what of my current mission critical apps will survive the upgrade.

I am very happy with the Z6ii IQ, but would like better AF. I don't know how the AF is imp0lemented, so, I cannot guess how much it can be improved by firmware upgrades.

Can anyone point me to something which explains what the AF processing pipeline looks like?

What info is produced by each point? How is it processed and how are the tracking decisions made?

Tracking and AF are going to be 2 different things.

Tracking will essentially be a scaled down (lower-resolution) image that takes an object that has been identified via initial AF point and tries to follow it--in 2D--across the x-y plane. As it follows the object, it tells the camera the coordinates of the AF point to use.

If tracking is the X-Y plane, then AF is the "Z" axis (and this is where I suspect the name "3D tracking" came from). For AF (really, just for PDAF), the camera will attempt to identify & follow contiguous vertical lines across half-masked pixels:

Notably, a "point" is not synonymous with a pixel--a "point" is a fairly arbitrarily-sized collection of masked pixels (a point has to have at least some pixels masked in either direction). I believe points are a software construct rather than a hardware construct.

And for CDAF, the camera will essentially focus back and forth and attempt to stop when any contrasty lines under the AF point are sharpest.

Even though the mechanisms are now completely different (eg. software rather than hardware, OSPDAF rather than dedicated module, etc.), I am fairly certain that for the Z's, Nikon still generally follows a similar processing pipeline as they did in their DSLRs:

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
NCB
iau
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow