Canon 100-400mm V1 or 2X III extender with 70-200mm III for Safari?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
dgumshu
dgumshu Veteran Member • Posts: 4,530
Re: Canon 100-400mm V1 or 2X III extender with 70-200mm III for Safari?

Wendy6 wrote:

Hello - I just upgraded my camera and had to purchase new lenses. I have the 24-70mm L II and I just bought the 70-200mm L III. We had to postpone or Safari in Tanzania until this coming February so before then, I need to make a decision on which option will be best quality-wise for my safari shots when I need to zoom.

I just don't feel like I'd probably get a ton of use out of the 100-400 and I really can only afford the original version if I buy it.

I would NOT buy the 100-400 v1. It’s too old now and servicing could be an issue. Also, mine was a bit soft at 400mm... and you won’t have much reach. I presume you’re using a FF.

For the price of a used 100-400 V1, you can buy a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary... for a tad bit more. This would give you most of the reach you will need for that trip.

My other option is to purchase the 2X III extender to use with my 70-200mm III lens. I know that I will lose 2 stops in the aperture with the extender so I don't know if things will just sort of equal out using it with my 70-200 or would I get better image quality with the original 100-400mm lens?

With the 2x on your 70-200, it will affect AF speed and acquisition in low light, but F5.6 isn’t too bad. IQ will also take a slight hit... and short on focal length for more distant shots.

I appreciate any thoughts on this. : )

I’d recommend getting the Sigma. You can always sell it after your trip, especially if you have limited use for it. While it’s not the fastest lens out there, for the price and F6.3 at 600mm, it will serve you well.  You can always rent one too.

-- hide signature --
 dgumshu's gear list:dgumshu's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R5 +50 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow