Fujifilm XF 35mm f1.4 vs 35mm f2 (Sample Photos)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,607
Re: Fujifilm XF 35mm f1.4 vs 35mm f2 (Sample Photos)

Pixel8888 wrote:

maltmoose wrote:

Aparently one is magic and the other isnt. All i know is that the 35 f2 is at its weakest wide open close up.

The extreme corners don't get really sharp even at F8 at infinity. Most of these pixel peeper lens tests are done taking shots of brick walls or books at closer distances. Not that great for landscape photography. The 27/2.8 and 50/2 are tack sharp over the whole image.

Other than that the 35/2 is a really nice lens.

I own both 35's and that's my experience too.  The 35/2 is very sharp over most of the image but the corners (and I mean the far corners) never sharpen up completely.  I don't know what causes it.  It does improve slowly as I stop down, but is always there even if I were to try it at f16.

I've still got both lenses.  Being interested mostly in hiking, landscape and nature I prefer the 35.1.4 because it's sharp to the corners - I almost never use it wide open despite other people banging on about its rendering.  However, I also prefer sealing.  I'm wondering whether the tipped 33/1.4 will solve both problems.  The sad part is that it will probably be much bigger too.

I agree with your the comment on the 27 and 50, especially when stopped down a few stops - they're very sharp indeed.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T4 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow