Canon 100-400mm V1 or 2X III extender with 70-200mm III for Safari?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
John_Hoffman
John_Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 2,071
Re: Canon 100-400mm V1 or 2X III extender with 70-200mm III for Safari?

Wendy6 wrote:

Hello - I just upgraded my camera and had to purchase new lenses. I have the 24-70mm L II and I just bought the 70-200mm L III. We had to postpone or Safari in Tanzania until this coming February so before then, I need to make a decision on which option will be best quality-wise for my safari shots when I need to zoom.

I just don't feel like I'd probably get a ton of use out of the 100-400 and I really can only afford the original version if I buy it. My other option is to purchase the 2X III extender to use with my 70-200mm III lens. I know that I will lose 2 stops in the aperture with the extender so I don't know if things will just sort of equal out using it with my 70-200 or would I get better image quality with the original 100-400mm lens?

I appreciate any thoughts on this. : )

You don't say what camera you have.

My recommendations would be:

1. since you don't think you will have use for the 100-400 after the safari I would recommend renting it.

2. option 2 would be to get the 1.4X extender. Image quality reduction and focus speed loss are greater with the 2X version compared to the 1.4X. Cropping and the new uprezzing tool in Lightroom/Photoshop will give you a similar sized image.

-- hide signature --

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John_Hoffman's gear list:John_Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow