I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
johnny_mnemonic Regular Member • Posts: 122
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

For your needs I think a gently used d4 or above would do the trick. You are shooting indoors and autofocus is paramount (and resolution is not). With that being said, I migrated over to d850s which have absurd resolution and it truly did improve my indoor photos by a measurable extent given the advances in autofocus and how decent 45mp images can look even with a significant amount of noise reduction. I still firmly believe (most disagree) that iso performance really hasn’t changed much over the years, I still think anything above iso 200 on any camera looks crappy and that’s ok (it’s usable, looks good in prints, but it’s obviously different from base iso). Noise reduction algorithms have improved, but I just don’t see much improvement when it comes to RAW at high isos

I think the most logical path for you would be either another d700, d4 or above, or a d850. You are shooting a pseudo pro model now I would continue with that style of camera for comfort, viewfinder, and features for your kind of shooting

johnny_mnemonic's gear list:johnny_mnemonic's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow