Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,582
Re: Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

Boss of Sony wrote:

Don't blame the camera.

1. You're too far away.

The bird's too far away for best image quality but the OPs setting have ruined what could have been half-decent shots.

2. Don't use the SOOC jpegs. I rarely, if ever, use the SOOC jpegs from my MFT camera, because they're too noisy, dull, lacking dynamic range, etc. And my MFT camera has a sensor TWICE the size of your RX10. Run the RAW files through DXO Photolab or another decent RAW processor, and you will see a massive difference.

I agree that post-processing is the only way to get the very best out of the RX10iv and I'm thankful I don't have to rely on OOC jpegs. But the post-processing has to be good. I've seen lots of post-processed images from the RX10iv that are pretty bad and I know the camera could have done better. The point is the OP needs to be getting decent OOC jpegs before even thinking about post-processing. After all the weeks of advice on this forum the OP has chosen really poor settings for the two images in this thread - is there an answer to it, I don't honestly know.

3. If you're going to use the SOOC jpegs, at least turn the sharpness and contrast down, and use a flatter profile.

Very true, having the camera set on vivid and +2 sharpening is something I would never recommend for birds. I dislike the look of oversharpened over the top colours on birds. But maybe that's just me.

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow