I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 394
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

By and large, there's a certain satisfaction to be had in making a machine purr by dint of hard work and perseverance. The tool has become an extension of the mind, every button's place etched indelibly in muscle memory. One enters a flow state. We see it with horses and jockeys, cars and drivers, potters and their hands, and of course, photographers and their cameras.

You stand to potentially lose all this. How well would Michael Jordan dribble a football?

Gear can get in the way.

Mindful of this, I recommend staying with the D700. However, because you are curious about what's out there (or you wouldn't have asked the question), I also suggest you rent one of the newer models or play with a friend's.

This is low-risk, and you gain some useful perspective to better inform whatever choice you ultimately end up making.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow