Early thoughts on 16-80

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
HatWearingFool
OP HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 2,687
Re: Early thoughts on 16-80

JayNGu wrote:

How does it compare to the 18-55? I would expect a drop off in optical performance for the increased range, but I wouldn't want it massive either. I've always been happy with the optics of the 18-55, but could be interested in the increased range if the trade off isn't too great, especially at the wide and the long end.

Thanks, Jason

I haven’t done a lot of testing yet. But I’d say my copy of the 16-80 is worse than my copy of the 18-55 from maybe 40-55. It seems to get worse as you go along. It seems particularly weak once you get to 80mm.

I tried a couple of used copies before and found the same as well. It’s possible I have a good copy of the 18-55… I don’t know.

My 16-80 seems very good at 35mm though, which is nice since that is a focal length I quite like. Actually I’d say it seems to have a sweet spot in the 23-35mm range. I don’t do a lot wide so haven’t looked at 16mm very closely. For my preference I would have preferred a 18-80 since I never shoot wider (with out stitching a panorama) and it might have meant higher overall optical quality, but I recognize the 16mm range is very important to a lot of buyers.

-- hide signature --
 HatWearingFool's gear list:HatWearingFool's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow