Win 11 system requirements and compatibility talk

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
abelits
abelits Contributing Member • Posts: 810
Re: Will security requirements help with ransomware protection?

Austinian wrote:

abelits wrote:

Austinian wrote:

As an individual with only single-user PCs to protect, I fortunately have a much simpler task than IT professionals; I can't begin to grasp the difficulties involved in restoring function to enormous, widely distributed networks after a successful attack.

Restoring everything on a large network is easy -- just use images stored offline and update them from the last known good backup. Because when someone operates a large network, it's not a big deal to have backup that requires multiples of total storage space of all servers, or perform backup procedures that involve physically moving media.

Then recovering from even a massive corporate malware attack is easy!

Once "full restore of all managed computers from backups" procedure is implemented, and all resources are in place, it is trivial to perform it.

How it will affect ongoing operations of the company, is a completely different matter, however at very least it would take care of the ransomware attack.

On the other hand, a home user would never buy a backup appliance with even twice the storage space of his PC, leave alone manually move backup media in and out to ensure that at least one known-good copy is physically inaccessible.

(I hope you are joking.)

I do not. If a home user just bought a 16-terabytes NAS for his desktop with a 4-terabyte SSD, he would not be happy to hear that now he also has to buy a 40-terabyte backup appliance.

abelits's gear list:abelits's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow