The Z9

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
richard cohen Senior Member • Posts: 1,497
Re: My Issue Is Not The Z9....

Doug Greenberg wrote:

richard cohen wrote:

The z9 will be a $7k pro body that will sell in small numbers. It will just seem like big numbers because forums such as this have a lot of pros on them....But the reality is the z9 will be low volume, very high price. It will hopefully catch nikon up with the sony a1, at least until sony unveils their 'a2'....and the game will continue.

The issue for me is that nikon has nothing announced that will compete with the canon r5. Imo this is the best all around camera on the market, and it comes at a more reasonable price point that enables much higher volumes of sales. With those sales come higher volume of lens and other accessories sales as well. The d850 was nikon's 'halo' camera for years as it was clearly the best all around dslr on the market. It helped nikon's market share, which has been bleeding away to sony and now to canon.

I agree with everything here except the notion that only professionals will buy the Z9. Partly because of the very perception that a Z8 type camera directly competing with the R5 is a few years away, a lot of amateur Nikon photographers will pony up for the Z9, even if they have to sell their first-born or take out a second mortgage. A couple of extra thousand dollars amortized over several years is not going to stop people who really want to stay with Nikon and own something (hopefully) state of the art. Spending this extra money is more attractive for many of us than joining the clamor to sell off Nikon gear at will soon become fire-sale prices in order to switch to Canon or Sony.

That's the plus side for Nikon. The minus side is, of course that very few people will switch TO Nikon based on the Z9. Or if there are such people, I am not sure what the demographic/category of photographer that would be.

I will add that I suspect the difference between the Sony A1 and A2 will not be as great as the previous "great step forward" was. Even now, some of the most cutting-edge properties of top-of-the-line cameras are features that most photographers don't prioritize, e.g., 8k video. Of course, I certainly could be wrong here, and Sony might come up with astounding features and capabilities that once again people will perceive as "must haves." But probably, Sony will move forward next by making the most coveted features of the A1 available on less expensive camera bodies.

Doug Greenberg

But even if some non-pros will buy the z9 (just as a few bought the d5 and one or two people the d6), we are still talking tiny numbers relative to a prosumer body like the d850 or now the r5...and whether nikon will ever be able to make enough of any of these to match demand is anyone's guess. If people can buy an r5 now, or wait another year to be able to buy a z8 it becomes a very long wait indeed. I hope I'm wrong because what I'd really love to be able to do is to strap my 300 or 500 pf onto my r5...I mean z8.

richard cohen's gear list:richard cohen's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow