You were saying....?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
richard cohen Senior Member • Posts: 1,501
Re: I disagree a bit...

ChromeLight wrote:

Richard, those are great points. I come from the Luminous Landscape style/side of photography. So for me the last frontier is dynamic range, for which I don't think there is any technology on the horizon that can greatly improve what we already have. Since the D800 there has been enough resolution for the Epson 3800 series printer, and Nikon's ultra-wide zooms have been magnificent. The Z7 seems like magic compared to my D800. I feel for action and sports shooters who aren't getting what they want. I think Thom Hogan once wrote an article about how the Nikon executives don't "get" how distant wildlife can be outside of Japan. Lack of emphasis on AF and telephoto lenses might be a cultural thing--just like how Sigma made the FP-L only because their CEO wanted a light, module camera to travel with, not because Sigma looked at the market. Canon and Sony might be more international in their customer want surveys.

I don't think it's a cultural thing. Nikon lead the industry in terms of af performance during the d850/d500/d5 years. The nikon long glass is at least as good as the canon offerings. Nikon also released the pf 300 and 500 lenses which to this day have no competitors in the market.

What I really wish I could do is to strap my pf 300 or 500 onto my r5. That would be an incredible, light and small wildlife kit. But until nikon gets in the game in terms of ml performance they keep losing share. I agree with you that for most other things the z7ii is a great camera, that's why I have one and will keep it.

richard cohen's gear list:richard cohen's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
csn
csn
csn
csn
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow