I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,033
You have to decide...

...whether you want to upgrade specs for "free" and have to learn a new camera layout or stick with what you know, even though it is old.

In your shoes, I'd probably go with a D750 for just a bit more than a nice used D700. A nice used D610 is about the same price as a nice used D700, and is also better in most measurable ways. (it lacks the folding screen of the D750)

Also, what makes you think the mirror is going? Can't you just keep shooting it until it actually DOES go?

FWIW, I shoot with a D610, usually at the 'M' resolution setting of 16 MP. That is almost always more than I need. When I'm running out of telephoto, I use 24 MP, and when I know I won't be printing it bigger, I use 10 MP. It's nice to have options.

The D610 is also smaller and weighs less than the D700. (I shopped the D700 before buying my [second] D610.)

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"A book breaks the shackles of time."
-Carl Sagan

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow