Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,524
Re: Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

AlwynS wrote:

THERE IS NO "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" UNIVERSAL "BEST" SETTING

Actually, there is one universal setting on the RX10iv that is the absolute best for birds and probably everything else and that is F/4. At F/4 you are getting the equivalent DOF as F/11 on FF, why in gods name would you want any more than that? If you shoot at F5.6 on the RX10iv you are getting the same DOF as F16 on FF. Go on the full-frame forums and look at bird images you will never ever find a bird image shot at F/16! Shooting wide open at F/4 on the RX10iv hits the sweet spot for image quality. At F/4 you get the lowest ISO possible or the fastest shutter speed possible or a bit of both. F/4 also gives you the best bokeh and the best separation from bird to fussy backgrounds, it's a no-brainer not to use at ALL THE TIME. Some people on this forum know all this to the point that they have taped the aperture ring up so it never strays from F/4. I know you know all this Alwyn, it just seemed a good opportunity to get it off my chest in this reply to you.

The amount of conflicting advice I've witnessed Elliern receive has made me wince at times. My advice to Elliern is to take Alywn's advice and forget the rest. Alywn knows the camera inside out for bird photography and what's more, regularly posts pictures to prove it. Not that Alywn's out to prove anything as he his very modest.

I think I need to go and lie down now!

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow