yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,382
Re: I disagree a bit...

MrHollywood wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

richard cohen wrote:

The big failure for nikon continues to be the lack of a high end prosumer ml body like the r5. Say what you will, but nikon continues to bleed market share. A cute retro dx camera won't change that imo. The z9 will be a $7k pro body that will hopefully catch nikon up to where sony is now with the a1...but that again is a low volume camera. The 'meat' of the prosumer market is owned by the canon r5, the best all around ml camera on the market imo. This is where nikon used to shine with the d850. That camera garnered nikon market share which also meant a lot of lens and accessory sales. The z9 is a halo camera, and the retro ml body announced will be fun for some at the low end, but in the meantime nikon will keep bleeding market share. They badly need a 'z8' to compete in the prosumer market or the market share will continue to slip.

I'm hoping when nikon announces the release date of the z9 they will start talking about the z8...maybe it gets out in the market before canon has an r5ii....

Fully agree. Zfc is more likely to be a flop than a large volume saler, it’s a niche camera w/o a good kit lens to go with it.

I don't think that's true. I think the Zfc will be a commercial success in a number of ways, including adding critical consumer volume to Nikon's userbase.

Time will tell.

I think it's already "telling." Listen up. It's selling like mad.

It simply won't sell well to the highest end of the market, including professionals. Sure, a random pro here and there will buy it, as will some former pros nostalgic for yesteryear, but working professionals aren't going to be interested. To us, cameras are tools, not toys, and it's important to make sure that capital sees a return.

I’m a fulltime enthusiast amateur. Does the Zfc look attractive? Yes, but, without a decent dedicated fast zoom it’ll stay as a secondary companion for those already invested in the Z line. If I want to stay with aps-c for compactness, I have either to wait for a 3rd party fast zoom or to go elsewhere. Or forget compactness and go FF. Nikon won’t, it is clear, attend to the needs of enthusiasts who want to stay with crop format for compactness but likes high quality glass.

What was the dedicated fast zoom for the D300 I had? I don't recall because not a soul I knew bothered with it.

Let me help you recollect. It was 17-55/2.8, a lens comparable to 24-70/2.8, but with the zoom range much better suited for DX.

We all mostly bought FX glass.

Sure, for long lenses FX glass works just fine. It is with the shorter range that you would typically want DX glass. Where Nikon didn't bother, Sigma and Tokina tried their level best.

The 28mm 2.8 will be very popular. The baby zoom will be very practical and the 18-140 will be fine for a walk around. More lenses will come and my best Z glass also can be used.

I would like a dedicated small flash, but the SB400 will work well.

I only bring that up because the top end of the market is what drives the rest of the market. Without us paying the premium for top end models, the development that goes into those models doesn't trickle down to the consumer stuff. When that doesn't happen, the larger amateur market doesn't buy in, preventing research money from being spent to develop new high end stuff, which results in... it's a death spiral that Nikon must avoid.

Nikon is trying tha actually, start at the top and then bring cheaper products. It is not working so far.

I shoot ,multi systems. With the Z7II, Nikon has bested some of the competition, caught up or is slightly behind. That measuring depends on your needs. For my needs Nikon is slight ahead. I have zero issues with AF and prefer their lenses and ergonomics.

I really like Fuji better than Canon and Sony and I could care less about market share. Nikon is still a HUGE player in the market. They don't have to be #1. They only have to make a camera that I prefer or I'll switch to another brand at some point.

And the Z9 may, like the Z6 and Z7, be just a matching model compared to the A1 or A9, in performance, already late again.

I doubt this quite a bit. Nikon has a history of showing out at the flagship level. The D3 was a tidal change for many pros, and the D3s led to huge market pick ups for Nikon. Every body since, until, arguably, the D6, has been better than the competition. I don't think that the Z9 will be an also ran, I truly believe it will be phenomenal.

Yes, the D3/D300 launch was a lanmark event of Nikon’s dslr era success, I bought my first digital ilc camera, the D80, in August of 2007. It looked like their future was as blilliant as that of any other company. Again, the D7000, the D600/D800 marked the beginnings of the great Sony sensor performance re DR. What went wrong? Maybe the success was too much and Nikon just thought things would go well if tgey just kept the tools running. Others had other plans, Sony especially. I hope you are right, the Z9 is the last hope for Nikon, if it is not at least ahead of the R3 and the A1, whatever the margin, especially re AF, they’ll be in big trouble, their overall ILC market share in Japan is on the brink of dropping below 10%, and they are below that level in the ML market, behind Fuji and Oly.

The last hope for Nikon? Good lord. If I had a nickel for every time someone wrote that, I'd be even richer!

Nikon will be fine. The Zfc is already selling like crazy. The Z glass is absolutely stunning...best IQ I've experienced on ANY full frame camera. The Z9 will be awesome...can't wait to get one.

And if none of that's true...

Oh, right. It is.

Robert

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
csn
csn
csn
csn
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow