Question about center weighted metering

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 2,621
Re: Question about center weighted metering

I have believed that for center weighted metering in my Nikon D500, the meter reads the reflected light from the entire scene but assigns a greater weight to what it is reading from a central area. I did not believe that it totally ignores the brightness reading outside this central area. And moreover, I have the option to select various sizes for this more highly weighted central area. I am still not clear about how much weight (i.e. %) is assigned to this central area as opposed to areas on the edges of the frame outside this area.

However, the video which triggered this question and some of the definitions revealed in the Google search say that center weighted metering reads ONLY the light in the center area and ignores any reading outside this area. One definition specifically stated that the light in the corners of the frame is ignored.

What is the correct definition for my Nikon D500? And if it is exactly as I have always believed, are there other cameras whose center-weighted mode does in fact read only the light in the center area and ignores the rest of the frame? That would be akin to a spot meter with a much larger spot.

This is somewhat important to me, because I shoot in manual mode and use center weighted metering most of the time. But the meter reading is merely input for a judgement call about the settings I actually select. IF I judge that the center area is significantly brighter or darker than a midtone, I specifically do NOT select settings that result in a zeroed meter. It's the classic white rabbit in the snowdrift adjustment scenario.

I can't answer your question, but this page might get you closer to an answer:

https://scantips.com/lights/metering2.html

See under "Camera Reflective Metering Modes - Center-Weighted Metering" down the page.

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow