Early thoughts on 16-80

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HatWearingFool
HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 2,745
Early thoughts on 16-80

Yesterday I received my brand new 16-80. I've been fairly negative regarding this lens since it was released. For it's performance I've felt it to be overpriced, but Fujifilm has been having a sale on the lens here in Canada for just over a month now.

With the sale nearing it's end I've been going back and forth on wether or not I should get it. It's now $774 (regularly $1079). I've always felt it should be priced around 750-800 so I figured I should just bit the bullet.

It does balance better than I initially thought it would on my x-t20. It's about the same size as my viltron 85 MK1 but lighter. The Viltrox is the largest lens I can easily use one handed with the x-t20 and the 16-80 is quite a bit easier.

The autofocus seems snappy and the OIS works well.

Also this feels like the first Fuji lens I have (out of 6) with a decent lens cap, so that's progress.

Really it's a solid lens except for the optics. Unfortunately I think it's hard to justify this lens for it's regular price based on the optical quality, but at the current 30% off I think it's worth it.

Here is a photo (jpeg from camera, but edited) taken last night. I took this one handed, in the wind, in the dark, while lighting it with my cellphone held in the other hand. I was happily surprised with the result. I tried to time the gusts of wind as best I could.

-- hide signature --
 HatWearingFool's gear list:HatWearingFool's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow