OP Elliern Senior Member • Posts: 1,707
Re: Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

sherman_levine wrote:

Elliern wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Elliern wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Ellie,

These aren't bad for images where the subject is so small and the range of light so large. I'm not sure what more you were expecting SOOC.

I'm glad you did post them SOOC, however, because they provided a lot of information

You chose shutter priority 1/1250 second, and you set the ISO to fixed 400. You added a bit of positive EC to brighten the osprey against the blue sky. As a consequence, the aperture narrowed to f/8 or f/9 in the two pictures.

Nothing wrong with any of that - but if you had just used auto ISO here, I suspect the aperture would have widened as far as it could go (f/4) before the ISO increased, and you'd have ended up at ISO 100 with a greater contrast range.

You could also have used M mode at 1/1250 and f/4 with auto ISO to reach the same end point, etc etc.

The actual mode (P,A,S,M) is far less important than the shutter speed/aperture/ISO endpoint which you reach.

These are difficult pictures because they have such a large dynamic range - from sunlit white (even brighter than the sky) to black. In that situation a low ISO is particularly important. I'd say you did as well as one could given the light and the higher ISO- The sunlit white areas are not badly overexposed, and it's possible to brighten the dark areas a lot, even from the JPG. (I'll spare you my "but if you had saved is as raw" macro)

The image is well-focused and sharp, and it's easy to remove the noise and adjust the lighting with some easy postprocessing

Beyond that, keep in mind that to fill the frame, you'll need to get about as close as you were with your recent rabbit.

Thanks, Sherm. If I could get a good denoise program for my iPad I would do that. As you know, birds don’t usually let you get real close, at least not large ones. What de-noise program do you recommend? I do have a lap top but it’s very old and not much use. My husband has one that he never uses, so I might be able to take over that one.
I considered getting a long lens for my d5600 such as the Sigma 150-600, which B&H has for $899. But that sucker is huge and heavy!!

I have to decide by tomorrow

Ellie,

I use DXO PL4 which is superb, but I'm puzzled by your logic.

You're happy with the P950 for stationary birds far away and for photography in general.

You also wanted a camera with faster/better focus for birds in flight for your trip. A big heavy long lens for the d5600 won't be practical for that purpose (though perhaps a much shorter one might be), and you can practice with whatever lens you have at home prior to deciding whether or not you want to go that route.

You are 100% correct, Sherm! B&H had the 150-600 Sigma on sale for $899. But when I saw how heavy and big it was, I knew there was no way I could use it and I can’t take a tripod on my trip. So it is out. I will definitely be taking my P950.

Sounds very reasonable.

I am still undecided on the RX10. There are a lot of things I like about it. I am very happy with my close up shots. But only have 1-2 BIFs that were “ok”. And not many good close up shots of dragonflies or bees. That might all be explained by poor settings and/or camera shake. I have seen fantastic images of BIFs and insects posted so I know the camera is very capable.

You're chasing around following everybody's advice and it's just causing confusion. Pick one configuration ( Alwyn's is excellent ) and just use that until you understand it.

Continue to post SOOC JPGs, because they can be used to determine your actual camera settings.

I also compared my D5600 to the D7200 and D7500 and the areas that counted were the same or very close. The D7500 was 1or 2 points higher in image quality and slightly faster. So someday I may look for a good refurbished or used one.
There is a lot of real noise and activity here this morning from lawn mowers and pressure washing🙁, that may be why the Ospreys weren’t out. I will keep checking their two trees. Unfortunately I can’t see them from my house because other condo buildings are in the way, so have to keep driving down there. If I can’t shoot them today, I think I will just keep the camera. I can always sell it or trade it in for another camera. I also mentioned to you once, I considered the Panasonic fz300. While it does have a much smaller sensor, it is very inexpensive and I have seen some good BIFs and bird images that people have posted. So in the future that might be an option, but not yet.

Don't worry about the birds. Take pictures of the post the bird sits on and get those looking proper. Learn how changing exposure offset changes the live view.

Nothing will be solved by changing cameras. The issue is what you're doing with what you already have.

If I had to make one suggestion (which has nothing to do with the camera settings) it's to save in raw (or JPG and raw) and get DXO and (perhaps) Topaz Sharpen. It will improve what you get from the RX10 and to an even greater degree what you get from the P950.

Here's an ISO 5000 image from Rx10iv (raw) from a few evenings back, posted at 100% so you can see all the ticks.

Here's one at ISO 1600 from a P950 raw, also at 100%

I am looking into getting a collapsible lightweight carbon or aluminum tripod to keep in my car.

Why not a monopod? For me, the difference between nothing and a light monopod is much greater than the difference between a monopod and a tripod. You can even take the monopod on your trip.

Thanks for alway being there with helpful advice and encouragement. I greatly appreciate it.

Happy to help.

Perhaps also consider whether taking BIF really needs to be on your bucket list. It requires a certain amount of agility, and the success rate at best is low. I've removed skiing from my own bucket list (to be more precise, I keep adding it and my wife keeps removing it because she hates seeing me in a cast).

I think I posted earlier that I was looking to buy a lightweight collapsible monopod.  I do have one but it might just a tad too short and is only one length.  I will  keep it in my car. It is very light and has a large rubber tip on the end for more stability.  
BIFs are challenging and so satisfying when I get a good one, so why not?  We have Ospreys, Hawks and Eagles all around us and Pelicans and gulls flying at the other end of our street at the beach which is just less than a mile away.  I enjoy the challenge  and have been shooting them for years. 
You are also right about Alwyn’s settings.  I plan to use only his for awhile.  I did try a couple of practice shots on ducks across the pond. Auto ISO did not do as well as 100.  I am staying with Alwyn’s settings.  I am also keeping the camera.  I still may upgrade my DSLR in the future but not just yet.  
Thanks again for all your good advice.

-- hide signature --

Ellie
Enjoy the Moments!
“What day is it?” asked Pooh.
“It’s today,” squeaked Piglet.
“My favorite day,” said Pooh.
A.A. Milne

Elliern's gear list:Elliern's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon D5100 Sony a6000 Nikon D5500
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow