Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,438
Re: Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

Elliern wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Ellie,

I use DXO PL4 which is superb, but I'm puzzled by your logic.

You're happy with the P950 for stationary birds far away and for photography in general.

You also wanted a camera with faster/better focus for birds in flight for your trip. A big heavy long lens for the d5600 won't be practical for that purpose (though perhaps a much shorter one might be), and you can practice with whatever lens you have at home prior to deciding whether or not you want to go that route.

You are 100% correct, Sherm! B&H had the 150-600 Sigma on sale for $899. But when I saw how heavy and big it was, I knew there was no way I could use it and I can’t take a tripod on my trip. So it is out. I will definitely be taking my P950.

Good call. I owned the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. Considering its price, it was actually a fairly sharp lens. But as is often true with Canon cameras, they don't always play well with 3rd party lenses. I spent hours adjusting the focus parameters using the Sigma USB dock. But just when I thought I had it set perfectly for any given body, it would randomly miss focus. I got tired of fighting focus problems and sold the lens.

I also used the Sigma 150-600 Sport version with my D500. That combination didn't have the inconsistent focus issues. But the lens still took a few tweaks on the dock to optimize focus. As it is even heavier than the Contemporary model, it takes good technique to get sharp images. This is true for all telephoto photography, but even more so for when using heavy lenses. Despite being the Sport version, it seemed the lens couldn't keep up with AF system of the D500. Passed up a great price offered by a friend. Really wanted the Nikon 500mm PF, but those have been perpetually backordered.

In your original post you mentioned shooting out the window of your car. You may have shut off the engine, but a huge amount of heat pours out from the undercarriage long after shutting off the engine. You really want to avoid the heat distortion caused by this if you want sharp images. Sometimes you can shoot from the windward side of the car to minimize this problem. Better yet, get out and away from the vehicle.

It is possible to get sharp handheld telephoto pictures, even with heavier gear. I was hiking back to my truck after a day shooting off a tripod. A Osprey swooped down over my head and landed on a snag just off the trail. He was there for only a few seconds and I didn't have time to change exposure settings. Practiced technique kicked in and got the only halfway decent shot of the day.

100-400mm + 1.4x TC on crop body - 896mm EQ focal length

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow