Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
AlwynS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,945
Re: Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

tbcass wrote:

Elliern wrote:

Thanks, Alwyn for replying. I assumed my problems were operator error, too.
**One thing though, I always use f4 as you suggested and I just looked to be sure it hadn’t moved and is still on f4. So how is it possible for it to show as f8 and f9???

The aperture ring works only in Aperture priority and Manual modes.

As mentioned in my response to Ellie just now: from the behaviour of the camera, one can infer certain things in terms of the logic/algorithms Sony uses under certain circumstances and you can sorta/kinda get the results you want through adapting to that.

BUT:

Absolutely, why would you take the chance of getting unwanted results? MUCH simpler, safer and all over better to use appropriate modes to ensure you get what you need. I find people very often suggest certain modes to use without thinking through the repercussions.

I think in all cases it is important to understand what you want in terms of results in a given situation. You can then thoughtfully identify and use settings that will ensure you satisfy those requirements in all respects.

THERE IS NO "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" UNIVERSAL "BEST" SETTING.

Manual is obviously the only mode that gives you complete control to get all variables set up to exactly meet your needs. I find A with Auto ISO to be next most powerful and flexible. These are the two modes I use probably 98%  of the time

And again the reminder: this is personal preference and we all have to go with what we are comfortable with. But if we do not get the results we want while using what we are comfortable with, perhaps it is time to learn something new.... I personally am totally satisfied with the flexibility and results I get using M and A in the ways that I have described.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow