Sooc shots of Osprey. Not sharp, Lots of noise

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 51,880
Shutter speed faster than necessary, aperture too small. ISO too high.

Elliern wrote:

Ok, folks, I am looking for help again before I have to return this camera. I posted some replies in another thread earlier today about problems I have at long end of zoom. Tomorrow is the last day of my free trial. I really want to like this camera, but I seem to have some issues with sharpness at the long end.

Just so you know:
1. Yes I often use my car window to stabilize the camera
2. Yes the motor is ALWAYS turned off as is the radio.
3. The Ospreys are only 200-300 ft from my home, so the engine has not been running long and shouldn’t be overly hot.
4. Sometimes I stand up and rest my elbows on the car door to help stabilize the camera.
5. I hold the view finder tight against my eye to help minimize shake, I never use the screen view.

So far so good.

I only shoot jpeg. I make any minor adjustments after downloading to my phone/iPad. I shoot in Aperture or Shutter priority modes most of the time.
High ISO NR is off,

First mistake. Set it to low. Second use a lower ISO.

continuous shooting is low, focus area is expand flexible spot, but have also used lock on AF:flexible spot medium. AF with shutter is on. Disp. cont. AF area is on. Phase detect area-on. ISO is usually 100 but sometimes up to 400. ISO AUTO min. SS was 1/1000.

Actually, the shutter speed was 1/1250 which is higher than necessary. 1/500 should be sufficient. You also were using f8 and f9 which will actually reduce detail due to diffraction. The RX10iv works best at F4.

Metering Mode-spot-large. Spot metering point was center. (It was suggested I use focus point link instead). AEL with shutter-on. White balance- auto. Priority set in AWB-standard. DRO/auto HDR-off.
Creative style: vivid, contrast +1, Saturation +/-0, sharpness +2.
That’s all. So here are two images. All suggestions are welcome. All SOOC

I thank any and all who take the time to read this long post and offer any suggestions.

Reduce the shutter speed to 1/500 and open the aperture to f4 which should reduce the ISO to 100. This should nearly eliminate the noise.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow