Astro photography - southern hemisphere.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
starman1969
starman1969 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,422
Re: Astro photography - southern hemisphere.

Raymond Cho wrote:

Hi all

I am trying to learn about astro photography. I have done the odd sunset and star trail or just general star photography heading outside here at night, some where without light pollution and face south or the southern cross star "crux".

1. I have done some research and with TPE software photographers emphemeris. It says here in New Zealand Astro starts 6.07am and Astro ends 6.42pm does it mean it won't be visible at night time here?

2. I have Star Walk 2 installed as well. When you operate the app and point it around, are the milky way images on the phone accurate?

3. I have also read this webpage
https://www.slrlounge.com/the-best-time-to-see-the-milky-way-is-coming-soon/

It says

• In July, the Milk Way will have already risen by the time it gets completely dark and it will set during the night.

You could not really be in a better place to view the Milky Way, as the galactic core region rises overhead in the winter months, though it is easier to photograph with a landscape when the galactic plane is lower down, and at an angle against the horizon.

How do we find the time when it rises and when it sets?
Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Steve

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow