Canon 35mm or 60mm macro.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
c h u n k
OP c h u n k Senior Member • Posts: 1,693
Re: Canon 35mm or 60mm macro.

John K wrote:

Pixel Pooper wrote:

c h u n k wrote:

I already have the 100 2.8L, but had planned on buying the 60mm macro for the closer focusing distance - easier to light well.

I wouldn't expect much difference to your lighting from the closer distance. I went from using a 60mm to a 90mm and it didn't get any harder to light. With some tweaks my lighting is better now with the 90mm then it ever was with the 60mm. The longer distance is also useful in a lot of situations. With the 60mm I had a lot more trouble with the diffuser hitting branches or spider webs because I was too close.

I think it depends on the light. With the macro twin flash there are limits to how large you can make the diffusers and still have a rig that's usable in the field. It's like you said -easy to bump into something. Plus I want key and fill light, so space is at a premium. With a smaller diffuser, close to the subject, it's easier to see the effects of the apparent light size principle.

1x

2x

3x

For the 1x shot adding another 2" of working distance would result in noticeably harsher speculator highlights -at least with my diffusers. I'm already looking for a way to extend the twin flash heads out another 2" so I can get better light at 1x when shooting with the EF-S 60mm or the MP-E 65mm.

If you're using a camera mounted flash with a diffuser that extends over the lens then I can see why you'd want more working distance.

Always trade offs...

I use the little 7" magic arms on my yongnuo twin flash. I bought some other piece of junk that had 2 arms extending from a plate which screwed to the camera. I actually LOVED it. The arms completely handled the weight of the flash heads and they were so long I could aim one arm at the distant bg from behind the subject and use the other as a single key. Could also just have them set as double flash at subjects right at the lens to about a foot in front of lens. The issue is they break after too much adjusting. I bought 2 and they both broke within weeks. Sucks because the design flaw was obvious and easy to fix.

-- hide signature --

Some of my photos here: https://flic.kr/ps/2i6XL3
“You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” --Dr. Seuss

c h u n k's gear list:c h u n k's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow