Panasonic Leica 12-60 vs Olympus 12-45 PRO

Started Feb 20, 2020 | Discussions thread
supeyugin1 Contributing Member • Posts: 880
Re: Panasonic Leica 12-60 vs Olympus 12-45 PRO

kopi90 wrote:

DAEMANO wrote:

kopi90 wrote:

I am looking for a replacement of 12-32mm kit lens for the Pana GX9 body. As I already have an 45-150mm, the ideas is to get something from the following list:

• Panasonic 12-60mm $400
  • Olympus 12-45mm $500
  • PanaLeica 12-60mm $850

Standard Panasonic 12-60mm doesn't seem to provide superb IQ. Therefore I was looking more at PanaLeica. However, it seems to be quite overpriced. Olympus 12-45mm is currently discounted. it's a pro grade lens, but no IS. Would it make sense for me to get the Olympus lens even though I have Panasonic body? Any thoughts?

I've used all three on a GX9 and will say this:

The Panasonic 12-60mm can provide superb IQ from 12-40mm at f/4-f/8. Under 40mm it is slightly soft at the corners, but the center is for all intents and purposes, as sharp as the other two lenses. It can be found used for $150-$200 all the time.

The Panasonic Leica 12-60mm is visibly better than the above lens from 40-60mm and in the corners at all focal lengths. It can be found used for $500-$650 if you'd like a more affordable price.

The Olympus 12-45mm is roughly equal to the Leica and a hair shaper in the corners, but not substantially so. However, the f/2.8 -f/4 speed advantage under 20mm the Leica has grants a lot of flexibility in day to day shooting conditions (not just indoors, but also in shadows and in critical light situations.) Importantly also the Leica's Dual IS2 showed real advantages on the GX9 over the Oly at every focal length. Combine that with the lack of lens corrections for the Oly on the Panasonic body (which had to then be handled in Lightroom) and I really don't know why anyone would choose the Oly 12-45 over either Panasonic lenses noted above.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences, much appreciated!

My understanding was that RAW files are usually uncorrected, but they do contain the "lens correction profile" which can be used by a RAW processor. Will I lose that kind of data when Panasonic body is combined with an Olympus lens?

For SOOC jpegs, when a Panasonic body is combined with a Panasonic lens, I will get all three corrections (distortions, vignetting and chromatic aberrations). If I would mix a Panasonic body with an Olympus lens, then the SOOC jpegs won't be corrected anymore?

Dual S has two generations. Panasonic 12-60mm supports the I. generation while Panasonic Leica 12-60mm has the II. generation. I found that GX9 is compatible only with the I. generation. Does it mean that Panasonic Leica 12-60mm won't give me an edge in stabilisation over the Panasonic 12-60mm?

Olympus 12-45mm got my interest after reading reviews and seeing the current discount. It's just a bit more expansive than the regular Panasonic 12-60mm. The close focusing capability is something that would be a nice benefit for shooting close-ups and semi macro. Moreover, the lens is very well built, giving some extra joy when using it :). Of course, reach is still somewhat limited (I don't see this as a huge issue because when I want telephoto, it's usually more than 60, most used range on 45-150mm lens is from somewhere between 100mm and 150mm). The biggest problem I see is the compatibility and whether I want to deal with it. It can be sharper, but it might be easily neglected by the lack of OIS?

What about Panasonic 12-35/2.8 vs Oly 12-40/2.8? I just bought Panasonic G95 recently with 12-60 Pana, but I'm thinking about buying one of those. Pana is $200 chaper than Oly right now.

supeyugin1's gear list:supeyugin1's gear list
Canon G9 X II Fujifilm XF10 Samsung NX mini Pentax Q-S1 Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SGA
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow