S5 or S1

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
reinhard becker Regular Member • Posts: 139
Re: S5 or S1

Jamajuel wrote:

Daft Punk wrote:

You should be prepared for realising that often ( when taking images in good light ) you will not see any major improvement in image quality over your G9 when looking at images at normal viewing distance.

As someone who's come from M43, I just don't experienced it like that. Yes, if light is good, then you get images that are indistinguishable and good from both (unless you need very shallow DOF).

But from my experience, the average IQ on the S series is significantly higher than M43. By "average" I mean: compare any two reasonably large sets of >100 images taken in one shooting. By "significant" I mean that I have no trouble picking out FF vs M43 immediately in such comparisons, without fail.

(PS: doesn't mean I don't like M43. I still kept many M43 lenses and my old GX7 and if they actually bring out a few new bodies with a new sensor, I would love to get another small compact body.)

I think that heavily depends how you compare the images! I used a Canon 5DII before I switched to MFT. I‘m coming from the film times (started taking pictures by 1985), so I still like big prints for my favorite pictures.

when I tested my results from the 5DII some years ago (against a E-M5II/16MP) I could easily see the difference between the camera on my computer screen. But I was not able to identify the camera on prints in 30x45cm or even 40x60cm from my Epson3800! Also nobody from my photography club was able to sort each print correctly to the used camera. That was good enough for me switch. I bought now into the S1R system because I just wanted, like using medium format in the 90s. I wanted, but I don‘t need it…

-- hide signature --

Reinhard
Olympus E-M5II, E-M1II, Olympus lenses from 7 to 300mm
Panasonic S1R, Sigma Art lenses (14-24, 24-70, 50, 85, 135)

reinhard becker's gear list:reinhard becker's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow