Partition Mojave HD to run Sierra

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JohnNewman
OP JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Re: Partition Mojave HD to run Sierra

JPAlbert wrote:

OP:

OK, we need to try something else, no promises.

You may want to print this out first.

1. Power down, all the way off
2. Now we're going to boot to a special version of internet recovery:
3. Press the power on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down:
Command-shift-OPTION-R
4. This will get the Mac booted and then should offer you the original version of the OS that was shipped with the MBair in 2017. Everymac.com says that this is OS 10.12.5.

5. Once you get booted, does it offer you the "Sierra" installer?
6. If so, start "clicking through"

Thanks everyone but getting a bit frustrated here. I may just have to bite the bullet and see if I can get my old 17" working again.

Basically I followed JPAlbert's instructions (for which many thanks) and got the option for Sierra (which it has to be to run my particular software and not High Sierra). After clicking through I got this message - "To download and restore macOS your computer's eligibility will be verified with Apple"

Fair enough I  thought and clicked continue only to get "The installer information on the recovery server is damaged". Hmm, so I clicked OK and got took straight back to the different recovery options and macOS Utilities. Tried again but same result so had to quit  macOS Utilities.

I'll look at the VM options but I only need this software about once a month so I was looking for an easy (and cheap) solution hence the initial USB option.

If anyone thinks I may still be able to do something, I'd be grateful for input.

Thank you all again,

John.

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Nikon Z fc Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow