Old Family Photos

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
dwight3
dwight3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,870
Re: Old Family Photos

Jeff DLB wrote:

...I fully agree that providing as much documentation as possible is important. I typically just use EXIF metadata embedded in JPEG or recorded in an XMP sidecar file, but I agree that not everybody can read or print those. I like your text-below-the image solution better than text-on-the-image. If I needed more documentation than EXIF could easily handle, I would create a sidecar TXT file.

The only problem with the text in the margin is that the documentation is then separable. It's easy to crop off. And similarly, txt files are separate files, and therefore readily separable from the image.

The question remains: Is it the image that's important or the information?

I have a boxfull of prints dating back to the 1800s. Maybe 30% of them have something written on the back. The rest of them are for all intents and purposes, useless. I don't know who they are, or if they're even relatives.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow