Win 11 system requirements and compatibility talk

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
abelits
abelits Contributing Member • Posts: 810
Re: Will security requirements help with ransomware protection?

Billiam29 wrote:

The only means I could ever see being possible for OS protection against ransomware would be to restrict file system access only to code-signed executables. While that feels like something that would technically be possible to implement, I can’t imagine it ever working as a default security posture for Windows installs outside of an enterprise setting. And of course, Microsoft has to not repeat code-signing of malware like they recently did with that driver.

It won't work. If all executables (really executables and libraries) are signed, then vulnerable executables that are present on the system must be signed, too. So whenever any vulnerability is exploited, file access is open.

It's possible to devise a CPU architecture that will demand signing of absolutely everything it executes, no matter where the code comes from. And yet that still won't work because modern exploits usually use existing code but give it _arguments_ that result in whatever exploit is supposed to do. For example, malware will use a cloud backup utility and use its file access permissions, its file access routines and its encryption routines -- all completely legitimate.

Really, there is only one solution to make systems more secure -- software developers should write better code. But that's too much to ask when it comes to software for consumers. So I would rather recommend backups -- frequent and incremental.

abelits's gear list:abelits's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow