Still fuzzy on monitor selection for Macbook...

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Lettermanian
OP Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,898
Re: Still fuzzy on monitor selection for Macbook...

Tom_N wrote:

Lettermanian wrote:

I am hoping to buy a monitor to use with my 2018 MacBook Pro (four usb-c ports)

Those models can drive monitors with resolutions of up to 5120x2880 pixels @ 60 Hz.

Yes, but those monitors won't fit my budget

2) M1 compatibility. Limited to certain brands only? Probably dealt with by the time I get an M1/2?

Just about any monitor with an DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, or USB-C (DisplayPort) input should work with a M1-based Mac, with the proper (adapter) cable. (Amazon carries several inexpensive adapter cables that have USB-C on the computer end, and DP, mDP, or HDMI on the monitor end.)

This assumes that the monitor has controls for things like brightness and contrast on its own physical buttons or its own menus. A very small number of monitors omit built-in controls for these things (!!!) and rely on software on the computer for adjustments … a design which can make it more difficult or impossible to reuse the monitor in the future.

I was thinking along the lines of some documented issues with some Dell monitors, and maybe others, that are developing pink dots and/or lines when connected to M1 macs. I think in general some brands need to ensure compatibility with M1. Benq has a section on their website that outlines their known issues. Similar to how Sigma and Tamron had to test their lenses for compatibility with Nikon Z.

3) advantage/disadvantage of WQHD vs 4K for 27" screen. Still unclear on this one. I've read that 27" is optimal for native WQHD monitors. A 27" native 4k might display small UI/text, but downscaling makes UI/text too large? But still better than WQHD for photo editing?

2560x1440 and 5120x2880 (200% scaling) are the best resolutions for 27" monitors.

Do you mean in general, or specifically with macs? Since the 2560x1440 is the only res out of those two in my budget range, will it display my photos and editing apps in the best possible way, without further scaling or adjustments? Is there not some issue with font smoothing in Big Sur even on a native 2k monitor?

3840x2160 is an "odd man out"; at 100%, text will be too small; at 200%, it will be too large. You can run a 3840x2160 monitor in a "like 2560x1440" Retina mode (for text and object sizing purposes), but then the scaling will be non-integer.

Will this still be better for photo editing than doing so on a native 2k monitor (I.e. will there still be more image detail shown in downscaled from 4k than in native 2k)?

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow