Choosing lenses for Rome and Naples

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
21William Contributing Member • Posts: 671
Re: First time? - Rome and Naples

Greq wrote:

Thanks for your comments. I know Rome is a diverse city, from narrow streets to open spaces and hills. Hence my dilemma about lenses. The argument about changing lenses frequently in crowded places is absolutely true.

However, I am afraid that buying a lens which does not convince me and does not give me satisfaction will make it stay at home more often than it will be used.
The 10-24mm, for example, has very mixed reviews, some love it, others say it's average and the quality of images out of the centre of the frame is not very sharp. I have the same observations with the copy I used, I don't know, maybe I had a bad copy of the lens. However, it makes me hesitate to invest not a small amount of money in this lens.

I'm considering whether to buy the 16-55mm despite it's weight and size, or buy the 35mm and 50mm lenses in addition to my 16mm. Obviously in the latter case I'm facing more frequent lens changes. Can anyone else share an opinion on how it is with changing lenses in a big city? Is it really that bad?

I’ve got the old version of the 10-24 and it’s sharp in the middle. Having been to Naples I wouldn’t be without something wide like the 10-24 given how narrow some of the streets are. Lens changing can be fairly easy or quite difficult depending on what camera bag you use. With something like a messenger bag it shouldn’t be too bad. I’ve no experience of it but the 16-80mm might be a good fit?

21William's gear list:21William's gear list
Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow