K3III Sensor Stain

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
klimbkat
klimbkat Senior Member • Posts: 2,526
K3III Sensor Stain

I've had my new K3III body for about a month and took my first extended trip to shoot National Parks. I'd shot a few frames with the 18-135 mounted all of which were fine, drove up 1,500 feet to Crater Lake, and every shot from there out had massive oil splatters on the sensor. I had not changed lenses.

Part of an attempted pano . . . .

Although I had brought an Arctic Butterfly, this was obviously not dust so I didn't bother concerned I might make things worse. In Reno, the helpful folks at Action Camera, who first suggested that I simply send it back as is, attempted a careful wet cleaning but had only partial success (removed the smears on the left but several dots remain).

It is most likely a lubricant of some sort that released within the body. Although I did ascend in altitude, 7,500' is not particularly high - I've taken other Pentax DSLRs to 18,000' without issue. When I get home next week I'll explore cleaning/return options.

I'd not heard any reports of this issue with other K3III bodies; did I miss something or is this just isolated bad luck?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow