S5 or S1

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Jsake
Jsake Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: S5 or S1

jalywol wrote:

Off The Mark wrote:

neile2010 wrote:

I don't have any specific subject , really quite general, and video is of slight interest...

Then don't get either an S5 or an S1, IMHO (And I own BOTH an S5 AND an S1).

Unless you absolutely LOVE Panasonic menus and ergonomics, or unless you really need the great IBIS, I think there are (arguably) better cameras for still photography*.

It may sound like sacrilege with this being an L Mount forum, but I would probably look at either a Canon, Sony, Fuji, or Nikon system first, probably in that order.

Long time Panasonic user here...Had a Sony, had a Canon. Did not care for either one.

LOVE the S5.

The 20-60mm with close focusing ability is not available in any other system.

The lenses will build out, and there are a LOT of options made by Sigma that are native L-mount, reasonably priced, and very good.

AND, the ergos and color rendition are wonderful. Sony still has a long way to go with both, especially if you shoot nature, and I never warmed to the Canon color or UI in the two years I had one of their mirrorless FFs. Panasonic's are spot on, and really terrific.

Flaws? If you want great tracking AF, Panasonic needs to get its head out of its whatever and put PDAF in the next versions. DFD is ok, but it just does not compete well in a tough market.

Oh, and I may be the only person on the planet who actually LIKES the EVF in the S5. Go figure.....

This is definitely a case of YMMV.....

-J

for someone doing general purpose photography and not dedicated to high level sports photography i think DfD is fine. its capable of a decent hit rate on moderately fast subjects. Ive shot birds in flight with a GH5 and S5. would it have been easier on an R6 or A7iii? probably. would i have got more keepers? probably.

so why DfD?… something that i hardly ever see mentioned is that the raw images coming out of the S series cameras have more latitude for pushing and pulling than i have seen anywhere else. At ISO much below 400 you can drag those light room slider to +100/-100 and you wont see any artefacts. when panasonic talk about the S series being about absolute image quality the lack of AF pixels on the sensor is part of that. its not entirely through stubbornness or ignorance that they decline pdaf sensors. they may at some point be forced to start using pdaf because of “market demand”. but i must say if they did this and it affected the raw flexibility id be a little disappointed.

Jsake's gear list:Jsake's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow