S5 or S1

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,077
Re: S5 or S1

neile2010 wrote:

I don't have any specific subject , really quite general, and video is of slight interest...

Then don't get either an S5 or an S1, IMHO (And I own BOTH an S5 AND an S1).

Unless you absolutely LOVE Panasonic menus and ergonomics, or unless you really need the great IBIS, I think there are (arguably) better cameras for still photography*.

It may sound like sacrilege with this being an L Mount forum, but I would probably look at either a Canon, Sony, Fuji, or Nikon system first, probably in that order.

If video were important to you, then I would highly recommend either an S1 or an S5, but the specific model would vary on what you want to shoot.

But since video doesn't seem particularly important, I would look at a different system.

Or, if you were keen on using manual focus lenses, then an S1 would be a great camera (better than an S5 due to the better EVF, LCD, IBIS, and focus peaking.

*Arguments for other systems: Better autofocus, wider selection of lenses and more affordable lenses (particularly for DSLR's but also true for Sony and Fuji mirrorless), better compatibility with adapted lenses.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow