10-25mm F1.7 Leica Vs Leica primes

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Ranlee Senior Member • Posts: 2,070
Re: 10-25mm F1.7 Leica Vs Leica primes

Qadri wrote:

The Panasonic 10-25mm is really expensive. Would a couple of primes be just as sharp or in fact sharper instead? The 15mm f1.7 Leica branded for example and the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 Leica. The general way lenses go is that primes are sharper but I understand this zoom is a serious piece of glass.

The main use is interviewing so the zoom is not essential but the flexibility of not having to move the camera to position the shot is good. Taking landscapes photos at the 10mm wide end (and general street photography) is a nice thing to have but it's not the main purpose.

So I'm wondering if it would really be worth it for the 10-25?

Thanks

The 10-25 is in a class by itself.  When I first got mine I tested it against my 15, 20 f1.7's and the 25 f1.4.  At f1.7 and f2.8 the 10/25 was considerably sharper in the image center and more than considerably on the edges than all 3 of the primes.  f4 and f5.6 were close enough at 15mm to call a draw edge to edge, while the 20 and 25 were close in the center and still behind on the edges.  While on the large side it is an exceptional lens no matter what you are shooting.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow