S5 or S1

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 43,159
Re: S5 or S1 or SX5?

reinhard becker wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Price? I would pay for the camera that best suited my purpose.

Otherwise - not a lot of difference that I could see.

Hello Tom,

I would add 2 technical specs I‘m missing on my S1R and used to have from my Olympus!

- S5 offers LiveComposite which is a great tool for some special scenarios (but not everybody needs it)

- S5 offers 8sec exposure time for HighRes shots, with S1/S1R you only get 1sec

on the other side the S5 has a different kind of sensor dust cleaning function, but I can not tell if there is a practical difference. With my S1R I have after one year no problems with sensor dust.

Thanks for your advice Reinhard,

I don’t know the S5 as I only have the S1 which I am quite happy with. So I have a bit of a guess based on S5 specifications and comments by owners on the forum.

The S5 seems to have been well received and popular.  But I would never own one because of its side hinged lcd.  It is actually a growing situation where once cameras have all become “pretty good” that buy decisions are becoming based on individual “features” that we either like or dislike.

Therefore when I see a new camera body released I immediately look to see what type of lcd hinge it has - if it is side-hinged I simply switch off - seems easier than going through attribute by attribute to try and weigh up if it might otherwise interest me.

I did buy a G9 - wonderful camera - has a side hinged lcd - I really wanted a GX9 type, but was an early adopter of the G9 and the GX9 was released about one month after the G9 was safely in my hands.  I have no regrets and simply “pretend” that the G9 has a fixed lcd ….  I will never do this again.

Therefore I would hardly be tempted to go for a S5 and find that Panasonic releases their Flat Top  RF-Style SX5 with tilt lcd soon enough.  I can wait - forever if necessary - nothing wrong with the “tilting” S1.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow