Sigma 28-70 f2.8 manual focus distance scale jump

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DimLS Regular Member • Posts: 168
Sigma 28-70 f2.8 manual focus distance scale jump

Hello,

I just got sigma 28-70 f2.8 for my Lumix S1. Everything is nice except from the following:

1 At manual focus mode, the focus is moving is small steps. I guess it’s the way it’s designed. I have seen it in 2 Olympus lenses as well.

2. Here is the main problem, at e.g. 35mm when rotating the focusing ring, the focus indicator is jumping from about 4m to 15m (and the opposite). I feel the real jump is smaller though. Then you are at 50mm it makes a smaller jump and somewhere at about 10m. So when going from 28 to 70mm the gap is gettin smaller. I think this is a problem.I sometimes use distance scale to focus.

3. This may  not be a design problem. The distance scale focus indicator shifts with focal length. E.g at 70mm when you focus to real distance 5 m it shows the focus indication to 5m. But then you go wider, for the same real distance the indicator shows 10m! This is a huge shift and can make the manual prefocus using the scale totally useless.

For point 2, do you see any similar operation?

Thank you

Panasonic S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow