Advice needed: Olympus em1 mkiii and Panasonic Leica 100-400mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
tammons Veteran Member • Posts: 6,567
Re: Advice needed: Olympus em1 mkiii and Panasonic Leica 100-400mm

Rob_E wrote:

Dear forum,

I have the combination of Olympus em1 mk3 and PL 100-400.

But somehow I cannot get my pictures as crisp as I would like to have them, only occasionally.

I wonder if people who use the same gear have any tips for me. For example, do you need to use a tripod, or do you shoot without?

Is there perhaps a need to have this lens calibrated with the camera? If so, how?

I also wondered if the stabilization is an issue.

I also wonder if you use Capture Pro (H). I cannot have it focus as expected. Yes, I am of course aware that the camera will not refocus on CP H (and that we cannot use CPL), but one would expect one or two of the pictures to be sharp.

Three weeks ago (6/6) I shot pictures of a young fox, about 20 m away. It was there quite a time. Few of my pictures were as crisp as I expected them to be with this lens and this camera. I will include one as an example. It is an out-of-camera picture.

Technical data: f/6.3, 1/3200, focal length: 400 mm, focus distance: 19,07 m, iso: 3200. I did not use a tripod.

I focused on the eyes. If you enlarge, but even if you do not, you will see that the picture is not as clean and crisp as it should be.

View: original size

My pictures with other (Olympus) lenses are nicely sharp.

In general I am an experienced amateur photographer, but here I need advice!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Robert

For fur and feathers, keep your max ISO at 1600 and process with DXO deep prime. That said, I had the Pany 100-400 and did not care for it and moved on to the Oly 300mm F4. The E-M1 II + Oly 300mm F4 dual IS is nice and works superbly with both TCs although with the 2x it takes some judicious hand holding along with use of electronic shutter.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow