Choosing lenses for Rome and Naples

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Miguel-C
Miguel-C Senior Member • Posts: 2,146
Re: Choosing lenses for Rome and Naples

Greq wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so I wanted to say hello and ask for your advice.
So far I've been using a Canon system but due to weight and size I decided to change systems and after months of searching, last fall I bought a Fujifilm X-T3 with an XF 18-55mm kit lens. I don't really like this lens, it's not bad, even quite good, but I always feel unsatisfied. This year I bought the XF 16mm for landscape photography (and I really like this lens). I used a rented XF 10-24mm, but somehow it didn't convince me. As you can see I'm new to the Fujifilm system and before that I was using a full frame camera. I'm happy with the change, I've started shooting more again (recently I often left my camera behind because I didn't want to carry it around), I like the quality of the photos and the stylish look of the cameras.
This September we are going on a family vacation to Italy, we plan to visit Tuscany, Rome and Naples. I'm wondering about lens choices for such a trip. How to complement my XF 16mm to cover all possible scenarios to shoot? I am interested in street, travel, landscape and family photography. I don't want a heavy lens like the XF 16-55. I've had the opportunity to shoot with it, the quality of the images is great, but the weight and size is unacceptable for me. I didn't leave Canon to have a camera of similar weight again. I wonder if it is better to choose XF 23mm or XF 35mm? It seems to me that the XF 23mm is too close to the 16mm, but on the other hand perhaps more suitable for shooting in places like Rome? Will I need some kind of longer focal length, and if so, which one? I would like to take 2-3 lenses to travel as light as possible.

I will be grateful for any advice.

Greg

If you're going to Naples or Rome i recommend a telephoto lens above all else. It will help clear the clutter out of your images. Rome is stunning, but it has a lot of visual noise that a long lens would eliminate.

-- hide signature --

Cordial Regards

Miguel-C's gear list:Miguel-C's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow