D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,094
Re: AF & AF-D Lenses, On D850

ericbowles wrote:

It's interesting how this is evolving.

The D780 is essentially a Z6 in DSLR format. It's a significant upgrade form the D750.

The D850 is similar to the Z7II, but the latter reflects a number of upgrades to AF Area modes, AF technology, and video. The D850 feels a little behind the Z7II in many areas. So a D780 type update could make sense.

The catch is the AF Eye and Animal Eye modes. The D850 is enough of an action camera, and Nikon is close enough with the technology in the Z9, that it probably makes sense to wait a little before releasing an update to the D850. If it has improvements to AF as expected via a faster readout on the sensor, it is a killer camera.

There are three potential upgrades Nikon could release following the Z9 - a mirrorless as a Z7II upgrade with action capabilities (the Z8), a D850 upgrade (a D880), or a D500 upgrade to an APS-C Mirrorless action camera (the Z90). This is a tough call. I could make an argument for any of these three cameras, but suspect the next update is a mirrorless model. If you really see a high quality action camera in mirrorless with a fast readout, there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

There are some AF-D lenses that I really do like using, on a D850, especially the Zoom Micro Nikkor 70-180mm, with and without the Nikon 6T attached. The AF in the D5/D500/D850 can really make some AF and AF-D lenses sing.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Since 2018, Leica-M has been my “mirror-less” system. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +54 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow