Transfer terrabites to Mac from PC?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jeff Wahaus Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: Transfer terrabites to Mac from PC?

Erik74 wrote:

Hi

Just got my new macbook air M1.

I have 2 TB of images I want to copy from my pc to an external ssd drive (Samsung T7) connected to the mac.

I have tried migration assistant but it wont let me choose the external drive on the mac.

I have formated the external drive as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as I see on the internet is recommended. But when I plug the external drive into the pc it does not recognize it after formatting. So this is not an option either.

Could you please advise me how to transfer the files?

Thank you so much.

Best regards

Erik

Plug in an Ethernet cable between your Mac and PC. If both have 1GB Ethernet ports (which is likely) then no additional hardware is needed. On the windows PC "share" the folders that you want to copy and then on the Mac these folders will become visible on the network. Then it's just a matter of using the finder to copy the files to your Mac's drive.

This will allow you to format the Mac drive however you want.

Also, note that you can do the same thing with Wi-Fi (no cable needed) but the transfer speeds will be 10-25 times slower.

Jeff Wahaus's gear list:Jeff Wahaus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow