Buying telephoto lens (600/4, 500/4) on eBay - issues to consider?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
lonewolf1983 Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: Buying telephoto lens (600/4, 500/4) on eBay - issues to consider?

talkin73 wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

dgumshu wrote:

lonewolf1983 wrote:

dgumshu wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

lonewolf1983 wrote:

just a reminder that unless you're happy with electronic shutter, you'll be limited to pretty lazy FPS with an R5/R6 with anything older than a mk2.

Yes that’s definitely something to consider. I will also add that my EF 500mm f/4L IS USM that was from a very early production date does lock up R5’s and R6’s (I’ve tried this lens on several bodies of both models) very consistently when I have the IS turned on. With IS turned off no lock-ups. I don’t know if this is a common issue but I can say at least it applies to my particular lens. I’d love to know I’d anyone else has had a similar experience.

I pretty much exclusively use this lens in ES and with IS off and use it hand-held the vast majority of the time and an VERY pleased with it despite those limitations.

I'm wondering if the older IS isn't compatible/conflict with IBIS on the R5/6?

I have a 400mm IS v1 and works fine

Interesting. Thanks

Interesting indeed. I was told years ago by someone at Canon Customer Relations that at some point during the time Canon was making the v1 IS supertelephotos that they made some changes to the electronics. My guess is the earlier production lenses have the issue with ibis that mine does and the later ones don’t.

Well I just bought a 500mm f4 IS Mark I so I will need to test further. I took about 400 shots including on H+ drive mode and no lockups. EyeAF worked surprisingly well with our cat. I wish the EVF didn't stutter the way it does, though. Really miss my A9II where there was no stutter at all, made the transition from OVF totally seamless. It's one area where Canon has room to grow. But, I was surprised at how well my initial experience felt and the AF performed quite well. I have to say it's truly incredible that Canon found a way to make lenses that old perform this well on brand cameras. Really well done and a huge, huge boon for Canon users considering the switch.

Using the higher refresh rate for the EVF?

lonewolf1983's gear list:lonewolf1983's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D4S Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R6 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow