Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,382
Re: You were saying....?

MrHollywood wrote:

yray wrote:

MrHollywood wrote:

Well....I will end on facts.

I have a family member at Nikon. He tells me little, just like he did when working at Sony and Microsoft. I guess he knows I could not resist spilling a good deal of beans, but the reality is that even he is kept under a blanket. He insists he knows less than I accuse him of. LOL

But this I do know:

1) Nikon was targeting pro's and amateurs alike. NOT cell phone shooters who'd never buy such a camera, but they won't turn them away either. The Zfc attracts people like me and my friends who are sophisticated advanced shooters.

I still haven’t heard a single argument why a “sophisticated advanced shooter” who understands the difference between APS-C and FF, and between fast lenses and slow lenses would choose Zfc over Fuji.

I own and have owned Fuji stuff.

It's not convenient to have two sets of lenses and the Z glass is FANTASTIC, better than Fuji. I'm using the 24-70 2.8 S, 70-200 2.8 S, 85mm 1.8 S, 24-200 S, 50mm 1.8 S, Sigma 35 & 135 ART lenses....and more....ALL of which will work with my new Zfc!

I've always preferred to use FX glass on DX cameras since the FX stuff tends to be superior overall. I used the 70-200 FL on the D500 for candids at times with great results and I can do the same now with the Zfc and the superior 70-200 2.8 S! Awesomesauce!

Right, D500 is a solid body with a good grip, and you can attach a vertical grip to it, so sure it handles well with large lenses, like D300 before it, DX though it may be. But a large lens on a grip-less tiny body plus an F-mount adapter, I don’t know… I’m averse to mounting large lenses even on Df, which has something of a grip. I don’t think most Zfc buyers would want to use large lenses on that body, — the cuteness factor will be gone and handling will be poor. But whatever floats your boat…

Before I had mirrorless, I had FX and DX cameras, all Nikon and all Nikon glass for the most part. ALL of my fastest lenses work on the Zfc, so why build a whole other system around Fuji??? That makes no sense at all.

My top tier 3rd party glass will also work on the Zfc, NOT the Fuji. So again, HUGE advantage for the Zfc over going down the Fuji path.

I’m not saying Zfc isn’t cute, it is, but Fuji has been making cute cameras for some time now.

Yes they have and the more I think about it, the more I'm certain that I'll be keeping my X100V. It's a fixed lens camera, so a different type of tool and I can think of plenty of reasons to keep it! It's one of my favorites.

They also got a few things right with the UI that Nikon didn’t do with the Df and persisted in not doing with Zfc. I specifically refer to the A setting on the ISO and shutter speed dials which make it obvious which settings are being used. Fuji got this right as far back as XT-1.

That in addition to a wide and deep lineup of AP-C lenses which Nikon will never have because they view AP-C as a gateway drug, not a legitimate format.

Like I said, I prefer FX glass. I can use it on either DX or FX bodies and that's always made more sense to me. In the meantime, I'll have a couple of DX lenses for compact shooting, but that's it.

I'm nota fan of the Nikon 58mm 1.4G, but a buddy of mine is swearing that it's the best portrait lens ever on his Z50. He also ordered a Zfc. And why not? It's dang inexpensive and too cool for school! He's upset because ordered yesterday and may have a long wait.

Robert

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
csn
csn
csn
csn
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow