Foveon vs. Bayer MP Equivalence a la Ted

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
tammons Veteran Member • Posts: 6,567
Re: Foveon vs. Bayer MP Equivalence a la Ted

xpatUSA wrote:

tammons wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Here , someone said of a non-Foveon camera:

"It's not 80MP equivalent, though. Is it even 40MP? Not completely convinced but it must be close".

Assuming that the question is about a Foveon equivalent, I gave it some thought. Claims quoted here often have either no or over-simplified bases.

I have a spreadsheet that, among other things, calculates the MTF of a sensor-type given pixel-pitch and image lp/mm. What if I were to vary the pixel-pitch until I get the same MTF for a Foveon versus a AA-less Bayer?

I did that.

Since, for a given sensor size, MP is proportion to 1/(pixel-pitch squared) - I got the result that a Foveon is about 40% "better" than the Bayer - meaning that it gets the same MTF for the same lp/mm and sensor size with about 30% less MP...

... and considerably less MP versus a Bayer with AA ...

He was not comparing pixel shift bayer resolution to Foveon.

Thank you, wasn't clear to me - which is why I assumed that the comparison was to Foveon.

He was talking about the equivalence of a pixel-shift high rez Bayer photo in comparison of a normal photo from the same Bayer camera.

I see. Would that be 80MP versus 20MP as in the DC-G9?

Pixel shift increases the detail a good bit but not to the level of a true 80mp Bayer chip. It's more like 30-35 Bayer mp or so IMO.

Must be time for a test ... I've never shot the G9 at 80MP.

Wondering if the G9 pixel-shift is any different effectively than Foveon low-res versus high-res ...

I cant say exactly what the other poster was thinking, but my opinion is the pixel quality, IE micro contrast, or pixel edge sharpness (my old SD9 had a zero fuzzy edge pixels) or whatever you want to call it, just estimating, for MFT pixel shift high rez, the bayer image at around 30-35mp has about the same pixel quality as a 20mp bayer image SOOC.

I will say, I dont have a G9. I have an E M1 II and that is about what I get out of it. About 30-35mp of useful data. I guess at 80mp you have more data, but it's fuzzy.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow