You were saying....?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Re: You were saying....?

MrHollywood wrote:

Well....I will end on facts.

I have a family member at Nikon. He tells me little, just like he did when working at Sony and Microsoft. I guess he knows I could not resist spilling a good deal of beans, but the reality is that even he is kept under a blanket. He insists he knows less than I accuse him of. LOL

But this I do know:

1) Nikon was targeting pro's and amateurs alike. NOT cell phone shooters who'd never buy such a camera, but they won't turn them away either. The Zfc attracts people like me and my friends who are sophisticated advanced shooters.

I still haven’t heard a single argument why a “sophisticated advanced shooter” who understands the difference between APS-C and FF, and between fast lenses and slow lenses would choose Zfc over Fuji.

I’m not saying Zfc isn’t cute, it is, but Fuji has been making cute cameras for some time now.

They also got a few things right with the UI that Nikon didn’t do with the Df and persisted in  not doing with Zfc. I specifically refer to the A setting on the ISO and shutter speed dials which make it obvious which settings are being used. Fuji got this right as far back as XT-1.

That in addition to a wide and deep lineup of AP-C lenses which Nikon will never have because they view AP-C as a gateway drug, not a legitimate format.

It will be well loved by anyone who wants a solid camera with retro controls, like my 16 year old son. It's also geared for the fun factor. That's why I ordered two of them! (one is a gift). Nikon is hoping for a broad base of buyers and they're going to get it.

2) I work with pros on a regular basis. I just hired a set photographer a few weeks ago and he also jumped all over the Zfc. Now...he's 50 years old and still has some old Nikon film bodies, so his endearment for the Zfc was built-in. But the one I'm gifting is for a 28 year old actress who happens to love photography and the aesthetics of such things. I think it's on the silly side to suggest who will like what based on YOUR personal feelings.

3) Years ago I argued the strengths of the Df, and while the price was an issue, I declared that it would sell steadily. It did (fact). And it stayed in production for a very long time (fact) and held its price for a very long time (fact).

The Zfc will be far FAR more popular. It's going to attract people like me (retired pro's), working pro's (like many of my friends who have also ordered one!) and quite a few amateurs looking for something that's not as tired looking as most mirrorless cameras these days. Under the retro-skin resides a hugely competitive camera that will be a knock out for actual photography. It will create better engagement for some shooters and that's a terrific thing these days. Will someone wear it as a fashion accessory? Who cares? What does that have to do with anything?

Don't hate the Zfc because its beautiful. Don't hate it because it will work with the finest lenses from Nikon ever. And don't act like the introductory lenses are the end of the line. They're not. Just the start.

Sit back and watch. Nikon has a few more surprises coming.

PS: Ordered the Zfc with 28mm from B&H and the zoom kit version from Amazon. The 28mm kit is for my friend. I actually think I'll prefer the zoom version aboard my boat and I already have faster glass on hand. I suspect the zoom version will get here 1st.

Robert

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
csn
csn
csn
csn
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow