Birds - Next Step for Improvement

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
AwesomeIan Senior Member • Posts: 2,303
Re: Birds - Next Step for Improvement

David1401 wrote:

My interest in wildlife photography, and specifically birds, has been growing steadily. I've enjoyed working on it, I've been able to get better results from reading and trial and error. I'm curious for an opinion on the best "next step" for me. I'm shooting with a Tamron 100-400 on my Nikon D750 and would like to end up with sharper images after cropping, am having to crop images pretty aggressively to fill the frame with the subject. I'm shooting RAW and using Lightroom for editing. Here's are 3 options that come to mind, curious for thoughts on this.

1) Upgrade technique

2) Upgrade to Nikon D850 for higher resolution sensor

3) Upgrade to 150-600 or similar to fill more of the frame with subject

I realize upgrading technique is an ongoing process, but I'm just not sure what that would be at this point, am looking to enroll in a course or 2 to learn more. Buying a longer lens seems somewhat obvious but if I can improve results with the 100-400 I'd avoid that expense. And I very much enjoy my camera, but have recently wondered if the type of pictures I'm taking would benefit from the higher MP sensor.

Thanks for any help with this!

Some example images:

Original size image

Cropped

Original size image

Cropped

Couple things:
1. Work on getting closer to the subject

2. Find new places to photograph wildlife

3. Go out during the morning and evening when the light is best

-- hide signature --
 AwesomeIan's gear list:AwesomeIan's gear list
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow