Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
kaphinga
kaphinga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,632
Re: Olympus 17mm f1.2 vs Fujifilm x100v f2

Jeff wrote:

I've also been thinking hard about the Fuji X100v, but not as a direct replacement or alternative. The beauty of x100v, I think, is the leaf shutter, very high flash sync, and built-in ND filters. There's just a lot of functionality in a small device that neither the 17/1.2 or the smartphone in my pocket can cover. Things like evening shots, daylight fill flash, something to carry with on walks, etc.

I'd love to hear more from mFT shooters that might also be using a fixed lens camera like the Fuji.

I got an X100V a couple of weeks ago.  Like you, I was interested in the flash possibilities with a leaf shutter.  Oddly enough, that's one of the few features I haven't tried yet.

Although I don't have the 17mm f/1.2, I imagine that the shooting experience would be vastly different from the X100V.  I *do* have the 17mm f/1.8, and the X100 experience is very different.  I am not quite sure how to describe it.  It's almost as if the camera begs to go out with you every time you leave the house.  There is no one feature that stands out; rather, it's the way all the features work together. It's a very, very straightforward shooting experience where I concentrate a lot more on the image than on the camera.

On the other hand, of course, you are stuck with one focal length, which can be both a blessing and a curse.

By the way, I still find the EM5.2 and EM5.3 a little bit more comfortable in my hands.  But, then again, I have really small hands.

The X100 isn't a replacement for my m4/3 gear. It's just a different experience.

-- hide signature --

Marie

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X100V Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Apple iPhone 11 Pro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow