Help me Pick out a new camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,267
Re: Help me Pick out a new camera

newbieshooter wrote:

I am a newb to the camera world but have alot of interest. i have been using GoPros for years. But now id like to buy a nice Sony, Canon, or Nikon camera at not more then 2000 in price. could anyone help me find something that fits my needs?

I want something for all around use on vacation, zoo's, park's, beach's, Mountain's pretty much something for all around. Mainly good stills and some Video. i heard canon is great but doesnt take on any 3rd party attachments therefor i was looking more into sony cameras but all advice is helpful

thank you in advance

Huh, I'd check that source again. Maybe what they meant to say is Canon's mirrorless RF mount cameras don't have a lot of third-party lenses available yet (many of those are manual focus only). Nikon Z mount is in the same boat. Both companies have adapters for their DSLR lenses which are supposed to provide native performance.

Besides lenses, Canon & Nikon have been around for such a long time and have so many users, they're the first brands that third-party accessory manufacturers think about when designing a new accessory (flashes, triggers, timers, remote control, grips, etc). In this regard, Sony is now much better than it used to be.

Maybe a better approach is to first check if the lenses and accessories you need are available and you can still fit in your budget. It's true Sony E-mount has third-party lenses but I wouldn't call them cheap. I just spent ~US$2k for what I think are two basic 3rd-party E-mount lenses. And I'm using an LA-EA5 adapter + my old Sony DSLR lenses to save money.

Before you dive in too far, DPR recently published a couple of articles for people just starting out in the world of ILC:

What to know before buying your first interchangeable lens digital camera
What you need to know before buying your first lens

DPR also has a series of Buying Guides that can help narrow the number of cameras that can fit your purpose.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow