MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 11,715
Re: Win 11 system requirements and compatibility talk

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

abelits wrote:

Austinian wrote:

abelits wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Great idea, too obstructive. If it did a popup message like the firewall dose when a new application tries to access a folder it would work

That's a good idea; I know what to expect, but a naive user may not.

No one can reliably make a decision, what is and what is not a legitimate file access based only on the names of files and programs involved. It's not difficult for an attacker to give his program a legitimate-sounding name, and most exploits run from the context of legitimate vulnerable processes in the first place.

This can also block a scheduled legitimate procedure that runs unattended, for example, backup, while malware will be running under the guise of another existing service.

Should such malware ever invade my system it would still run if I didn't use Controlled folders. If you expect any single defense to be absolutely perfect you're likely to be disappointed. Consider it just another brick in the security wall.

Computer security does not work like that. Defense is supposed to be in depth, not in breadth, with all those "bricks" laid randomly in hope that the next attack will hit them and not the widely open space next to them.

Surely you don't imagine I rely on Controlled folders for all my security.

If I were to see a program blocked aside from one I'd just executed myself for the first time ( I haven't), I wouldn't whitelist it but start an investigation instead.

And cause data inconsistency for some service that happened to be recording its state at the time.

I have seen no evidence of Controlled folders causing any problems in my system. Unless I see a good reason to not use them, I plan to continue despite your endless criticism.

I could not run an older and fully supported and patched version of Word controlled folder access on. Photoshop was another one with issues. For years we stored files where we liked and then all of a sudden nothing works. At the very least there should be an interview and warnings when you turn it off to avoid the denial of service. Controlled folder access is like driving on an interstate that dose not have warning signs that an exit is coming. You are driving as you always do and all of a sudden you are in the wrong lane to get off.

Then maybe Controlled folders are not for you; I don't use Word or Photoshop, perhaps they have an inconveniently large number of different processes associated with them? I remember that I had to whitelist a couple of processes that PhotoLab 4 uses, and probably a few others as well.

For me, it was obvious what had happened when PhotoLab, etc. was unable to save files to where I expected, but I agree that explicit and emphatic warnings would be a very good idea.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow