Tripod height question

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
crowley213
crowley213 Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Re: Tripod height question

River Birch wrote:

crowley213 wrote:

River Birch wrote:

My father is purchasing a tripod to use with a 600 mm lens. He needs help figuring out how high of a tripod he should get. He figured out how high it should be based on his eye level looking straight ahead. Should he purchase a tripod to adjusts taller so that he can tilt the tripod up without leaning over too much? Will the camera and lens be stable enough on not fully extended legs?

How tall is your father? What camera is he using? How much does he “want” to spend?

Herbert

5’10.5”

70D Mark 2.

He will be using a Wimberly gimbal head,

$1,000.

Okay, in metric dimensions this means your father is around 1.80 meters tall, correct?

I am 1.85 meters tall and I use a FLM CP38-L4II tripod which states a max. height of 1.735 meters. When using the tripod legs it on normal ground with a ball head I reach around eye level with the last leg section not extended at all.

So my recommendation would be to get tripod legs

- which reach at least a max height of 1.70 meters w/o any center column, that way your father would still have a reserve for uneven ground or overhead shots

- have a max tube diameter of at least 34mm to 38mm, means really stable tripod legs

- potentially look for a four section model, as the folded size is simply smaller than with a three section model and stability is not that much reduced when going for good tripod legs while mobility is better

PMG, Gitzo and RRS are for sure top brands and recommendations. Personally I can recommend the FLM tripod legs, they are really good and still a little more cost effective than the other mentioned brands.

Herbert

crowley213's gear list:crowley213's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow