You were saying....?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,378
Re: You were saying....?

PerL wrote:

yray wrote:

MrHollywood wrote:

Seems like just a few weeks ago some folks were upset and complaining that Nikon was not bringing us anything new.

Now we've got a stunning 105 Macro Z lens, two compact primes pending, and one heck of a gorgeous (and inexpensive) retro style camera that looks to set sales records for Nikon. Oh...and they repackaged a zoom for it and gave us a nice compact 28mm 2.8 with a 24-140mm zoom on the way!

Nice to hear excitement in your voice. Maybe you can explain to me what is special about short zooms with f/6.3 max aperture, so I can get excited too.

The answer is 300 g (or so). That is exciting if you want to travel light.

About the same weight, but f/2.8-4:

Specifications

Type: XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS

Lens construction: 14 elements in 10groups (includes 3 aspherical and 1 extra low dispersion elements)

Focal length: f=18 - 55 mm

35mm format equivalent: 27-84 mm

Angle of view: 79.1° - 28.4°

Max. aperture: F2.8 - F4

Min. aperture: F22

Aperture control

Number of blades : 7(rounded diaphragm opening)

Stop size : 1/3EV (19 stops)

Focus range

Wide: Approx. 30cm - ∞

Telephoto: Approx. 40cm - ∞

Max. magnification: 0.08 - 0.15x

External dimensions: ø65.0mm x 70.4mm(Wide)/97.9mm(Telephoto)

Weight (excluding caps and hoods): Approx. 310g

Filter size: ø58mm

Why can't Nikon do that? My guess is because they don't take DX seriously, and assume that most potential buyers in this segment can't tell f/4 from f/6.3.

No small, light 35/1.8 DX, the FX one is $700 on sale. That 50/1.8 is $500 on sale. It is not even funny. It used to be 50/1.8 was $100 lens, give or take. Honestly, with this pricing level I don't know how it cannot be a flop.

Not too shabby and now we'll be getting long glass and a pro Z body very soon!

Woo hooo!

(Of course some will still complain because that's the nature of things, but....woo hooo!)

LOL!

Robert

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
csn
csn
csn
csn
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow